Portlets! That’s what – Liferay complies with the JSR-168 and JSR-286 portlet standards, and can therefore consume any portlets written to these standards.
- Runs on any Java EE major app server & servlet container and all major databases, and operating systems (over 700 deployment combinations)
- Out-of-the-box usablility —choose from over 60 portlets
- Out-of-the-box development tools
- Built in Content Management System (CMS) & Collaboration Suite
- Award winning AJAX enabled user interface
- Localized to 22 languages, out-of-the-box
- Full LDAP synchronization
- Benchmarked as among the most secure portal platforms using LogicLibrary’s Logiscan suite
- Business-friendly MIT License
Of the above features we use the LDAP functionality, to allow Students and Staff access, aswell as some of the standard included portlets, though mainly ones that we have made ourselves.
The server which runs our version of Liferay is running, Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 & MySQL 5.0.45